Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Birthday Time Folks



Yes yes, first let me apologize to my readers that I have not written in the last 2-3 weeks. Well it's examination time here at my end with kids writing their IB, IGCSE and SAT exams, so I was totally submerged in it as well.

Now, what could be the occasion this time around coming up to write a piece? well you guessed it right dear friends, its my Happy Happy Birthday coming up this Wednesday i.e. 22nd of May. Now well, can you guess one more thing, yes what could be my age. Here are some hints, a) I am a 2-digit prime number. b) I can be written as the sum of 2 perfect squares. c) I am the only two digit number in base 10 whose product, when multiplied by two, subtracted by one, and then read backwards, equals the original two digit number. Now that should have kept your brain exercise for a little while and voila! for those who got it right the MAGIC NUMBER, yours truly is turning this week is 37.


2 science facts about the number 37, a) 37 is the atomic number for Rubidium(now I know where my continuous state of reactivity comes from) and b) 37 deg C is the normal body temperature in the human body.
Some other known facts about 37 a) +37 was the international dialing code of the German Democratic Republic (aka East Germany). Today the +37 prefix is shared by Lithuania (+370), Latvia (+371),Estonia (+372), Moldova (+373), Armenia (+374), Belarus (+375), Andorra (+376), Monaco (+377), San Marino (+378) and Vatican City (+379). b) Incidentally 37 is also the number most people state when asked to give a random number between 0 and 100. Thank you Wikipedia for all the findings.

Freebies for you: Since it is after all my birthday, here are some pages you might want to visit:
a) It's my birthday, as well: A very well written article by Steven Strogatz showing you the chances(Probability for you #math language experts) that two of you can share the same birthday.
You can read it here: It's my Birthday too.

b) How to celebrate your birthday with Math: An excellent #Math based article superbly written by my cousin Bon (aka @mathfour on twitter).
You can find her piece here: Birthday Math

c) Exactly... how old are you??? An excellent page showing exactly how many years/months/weeks/days/hours/minutes/seconds have you lived so far:
You can find this beauty here: Seriously, what's your age?

That sums up my birthday special dear friends, hope you enjoyed it. As always I would love a lot of comments if possible 37 at least ;) they could be of any of the types mentioned below:
Comments

And lastly, maybe you would all want a small dance with me, maybe Mathematically what say? you decide the dance and we can totally do it then! So come on dear friends, join me in the celebrations:













So long then dear friends, keep in touch. God Bless you All
Vijay aka the MathMan



21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch for the kind words and wishes Timo :)

      Delete
  2. Your posts are so fun,creative and informative to read.Thanks for sharing all the links. I'll check them as soon as possible.You write so enthusiastically that you could make everyone become interested in maths.
    Happy Birthday Vijay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arzu,
      So many kind words showered on me I don't even know how to reply to your lovely comments. I'm so honored to be given so many accolades, glad that I could inspire you and others in to Maths through my blog. Keep this blog for more as the days go by and I hope to pen down my thoughts about Math, Math links and other tidbits so that Math can well and truly grow in all the people around me. Stay safe Arzu and thanks again for the best wishes. Keep in touch

      Delete
  3. What an honor to share a birthday with you my talented and funny friend! Hope your bday week is off to a fabulous beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he Mail Ling, I'm glad that you liked it. Watch this space for more as I will start soon the Apps review heading and will start full throttle into YappGuru. Hugs

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Vijay!

    What a fun way to celebrate the beauty of birthdays-hope it's full of laughter and fun! Welcome to the "37" club! I'm in it too!

    Julie Adams
    @adamsteaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Julie, well it's my birthday on Wednesday so I'm still 36 Years old. However great to know that we are of the same ages and that's why we share the same wisdom and knowledge so very similarly. Looking forward to Skype with you one day soon and then meet you F2F one day.

      Stay safe

      Delete
  5. Happy Happy Birthday my friend! I love the Birthday math!
    I'm afraid I am way past the "37 Club" with you and Julie though. In my mind I am right there with you both!
    Have a wonderful week. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Laura
    @lconley86

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thank you Thank you very much for the lovely wishes and kind words Laura. It's been such a pleasure knowing you and of reading your tweets in twitter. Hope to "hangout" soon and wish you a great week as well. Keep in touch

      Delete
  6. Awesome post! Happy HAPPY Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch for the kind words and the wishes Lori :) means a lot to me.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Vijay.

    I remember last year on Twitter when we played this age-guessing game. We were in opposite boats then, as you left GCF clues, but my age, being prime, needed more complex clues. How the tides have turned. ;-)

    Happy birthday,
    Shawn

    (Ah, you must be a day "ahead", as the edit says it is May 21; here it is still May 20.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha thanks a lot Shawn :) yes I remember last year very vividly. Well one has to be in his "prime" to mature and perfect as a human being right? Guess I'm in that elite company with you as well now. Thanks a bunch for the best wishes man and hope to chat or Skype up soon.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birthday blessings to you, Vijay! I am also prime this year...43. Maybe that makes us extra special in 2013? Love the birthday math you included, but the dance moves made me smile at this early hour of the morning.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for the kind words and best wishes Jess :) such an amazing coincidence that with the "prime age" he he guess we are two of a kind after all. Your comment also made me smile this morning. Have a nice one Jess :) stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Vijay! Really enjoyed reading this post.What a great birthday present for us! Hope you have a wonderful day. Talk to you soon! Tom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for the nice words and the best wishes of course Tom :) I had a lovely day of #Math lessons till upto 8pm in the night. I had a lovely time cake cutting though with my wife and kiddo joined by my folks, brother and sis in law via Skype, so all in all it was a fab experience. Talk to you soon indeed!

    ReplyDelete

  13. Better late than never, Happy Birthday my dear friend!! I hope you had a wonderful time surrounded by all the love and blessings that you deserve along with your beautiful family. I loved your post, we can always trust you to make anything that involves numbers something fun and entertaining.
    hugs from Guatemala,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete