Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

Ho Ho Ho Holiday Math and more

Dear All,

First of all, Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year. Yes, I agree I have been not updating my blog for quite sometime now but as you would have all heard or seen that I have been mighty busy.
All Math and no play
Having said that, lets see what have we missed. Clearly many holidays have gone by such as Ramadan, Hanukkah, Diwali and now of course its that wonderful Christmas season. 

Who does not love holidays? I for one love them because firstly I have very few of them ha ha. So what do I do? Hmmm practically nothing besides eating, sleeping, watching my favorite TV flicks, spending time with my girl (she is 6 years now, catch them when they are young) besides the occasional Skype talk with my folks and of course the random tweet or Facebook update and if I am really in the mood, even some nice Google+ video uploads with my own outlooks about it.

For kids, Holidays can be fun but at the same time, I have always maintained my stance that Math is a very volatile subject and at the same time very slimy so my request 

Yes, I will be posting my regular quota of Math worksheets which can be done during the Holidays, but what about Pi Day does anyone know what that is? Maybe the illustration below can explain us better:

If you want to know more about Pi aka 
or want to have your own slice of PI
you might want to check this out: World of Pi
Some of the things you could be doing on a Pi Day: 
'
And lastly, while on Pi check out this neat video made by the wonderful Matt Parker aka @standupmaths for the @Numberphile channel.


Or even matter, if you have heard of a certain Danica McKellar, check this out:



Also brings back my most important question to you all, why are Math skills considered so important?

This link shows us why: Importance of Math Skills. While you go and figure that out, check these below links for some great Holiday Math activities and worksheets.

1. Holiday Math I via www.education.com (that is a wonderful site)

2. Holiday Math II via Julia Leonard (@mathworksheetsl)
In addition to all this, if you want a healthy dose of Math worksheets to work on, learn more about this fascinating subject and learn all the advantages with some nice FREE help on her (yes I did mention in my earlier blogs that Math is a woman, don't you agree?) you might want to check StudyGeek, they are pretty awesome.

On that happy note, I would like to wish you all a very Happy New Year 2014 via that superb (@spikedmath)

                                             Remember though that I will be pretty much (No Math there)
and yes before I sign out, my New Year Blog resolution I will be adding a new page in my blog titled Math Apps and me where I will be reviewing one Math iOS app per week for all you Math lovers using the iOSphere.

So long Cheerios, Adios Amigos, Asta La Vista dear all, this is me Vijay aka your MathMan signing off, stay safe and blessed wherever you are. 





9 comments:

  1. I love the holidays too! This year we had an extended holiday due to the calendar. We were off from Dec. 21 through Jan. 6. Lots of time for catching up on work. I also have been taking plenty of time for reading, watching videos and doing jigsaw puzzles. We acknowledge Pi day here but don't usually do much at the High School level. I've been in middle schools where they actually hold contests to see who can memorize the greatest number of digits of Pi. Might be easier just to bake a pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch for the comment Tom :) yes I agree, baking a pie would be much easier than the video shown here. HAppy Holidays my man

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your math app review page. I keep a collection of math apps on my teacher tech blog so I'll see if I can connect there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward in connecting you there Jacqui :) Happy Holidays

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Vijay. Reading your blog makes me wish I had had such enthusiastic math teachers when I was in HS -perhaps I wouldn't be so traumatized about numbers ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch for the nice words Laura :) I always believe that passion is the main ingredient in teaching and sincerely hope that globally speaking together we must and together we will. Keep in touch :)

      Delete
  4. Hello dear friend,
    Sorry to be so,late in commenting but I love your blog! Hope your holidays were the best...I learn so much from you about teaching ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch for the nice words Sharon :) sorry for the delay in replying but I have been very busy. Keep in touch and spread the joys and happiness in the travails of education. Cheers

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    I'm glad that someone still thinks about math, even in holiday season.
    Nice article, it kept my attention :)
    Anyway, Jacqui's comment says something about math app review page. Where can I view this page? I've developed a very powerful web app for taking math notes, and I need reviews by teachers, students and other mathematicians. My goal was to create an easy to use app which increases student's productivity. Did I succeed?
    Check it out at http://www.themathist.com/
    Pavlovic Dz Filip

    ReplyDelete